For the Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup polenta
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
For the Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, slightly frozen
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
For the Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Butter a 9-inch spring form pan.
- Sift together the flour, polenta, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a mixer or in a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, whisk the eggs and sugar at medium speed until thick. Gradually pour in the oil mixture and lemon zest with mixer running.
- Using a spatula, gently fold in dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Pour into pan and bake for 50 minutes or until center springs back when pressed lightly. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove the sides and let cool.
- As cake is baking make your syrup. Using a mandolin, slice your lemon very thin and place in a medium bowl. In a small saucepot over medium heat, bring your sugar and water to a boil. Remove from heat and pour over lemon slices. Sprinkle in lavender. Cover and let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once your cake is cool, using a toothpick or cake tester, poke holes all over. Gently spoon syrup over the cake until moistened. Place lemon slices over cake in overlapping circles.
- Optional, whisk together heavy cream and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks. Top cake with whipped cream and sprinkle with lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!